Discover how to score the right level of insurance cover as a massage or beauty therapist.
As a massage or beauty therapist, you’re in the business of helping your clients look and feel their best. Whether it’s a relaxing remedial massage or a fresh manicure, you want to ensure everyone leaves your appointment feeling better than they walked in.
But, being a hands-on therapist working in the beauty and health space means some level of risk is unavoidable. That’s why it’s so important to protect yourself with the right level of massage insurance cover.
Not sure what kind of insurance you need as a mobile massage or beauty therapist? Let’s run you through why insurance is important, the types of insurance options available and what level of insurance you need to run your business with Blys.
Why do you need insurance as a mobile massage or beauty therapist?
Even the most experienced massage and beauty therapists can’t prepare for accidents. That’s where insurance comes in, giving you the peace of mind knowing you’re covered in case the unexpected happens.
Essentially, the right level of massage therapist insurance gives you added protection if something doesn’t go to plan.
Why does this matter? Let’s dig a little deeper into the value of massage therapy insurance, especially as a mobile massage therapist:
- Massage insurance helps you plan for the unexpected and ensures you’re covered if something goes wrong during an appointment.
- Massage insurance is a proactive way to protect yourself and your business against financial stress if something doesn’t go to plan.
Massage insurance lowers your risk of being left to foot expensive medical or legal bills.
Your guide to the types of insurance available for massage therapists and beauty providers in Australia
Now, you’re probably wondering which type of insurance you need to cover yourself and your business.
Luckily, we’ve done the heavy lifting to round up the main types of insurance available to massage and beauty therapists in Australia:
- Professional indemnity insurance: this type of insurance is all about protecting you if something doesn’t go to plan with the service you provide. It’s all about covering you in the case of negligence claims (such as being ordered to pay the medical bills from previous clients).
- Public liability insurance: this type of insurance relates to any accidents that happen inside your massage or beauty clinic (such as a client slipping over on a freshly mopped floor and fracturing their back).
- Products liability insurance: this type of insurance relates to any products you sell to your clients for therapeutic use, and covers you in the case of injury or damage to your clients.
- Malpractice insurance: as a type of professional liability insurance, malpractice insurance protects your business from potential lawsuits due to negligence or malpractice. These court cases can have major financial consequences for your business, so this is important to have this insurance in place from the beginning.
- Personal accident insurance: this type of insurance protects you and your capacity to earn an income. It kicks in if you injure yourself and are unable to work temporarily while your injury heals.
What type of insurance do you need as a mobile massage therapist or beauty therapist?
As a mobile massage or beauty therapist, there are a few key types of insurance you need to secure.
First up, professional indemnity and public liability insurance is key to ensuring you’re protected if your client is injured or has an accident during your service. Even if you’re providing a service in their home, you’re still providing a professional service that can expose you to risk. So, make sure to get your massage liability in place ASAP.
Plus, it’s important to secure malpractice insurance to protect you in the event of legal action. As a self-employed mobile therapist, it’s also worth considering things like income protection (which covers a portion of your income if you’re unable to work due to illness or injury).
The most common insurance providers for mobile massage therapists
Wondering where to secure your insurance cover as a mobile beauty or massage therapist? We’ve rounded up some of the top providers to consider, including:
- AON is an approved insurance broker for Massage & Myotherapy Australia members, and gives mobile therapists instant access to a range of insurance policies.
- Upcover provides afforded insurance cover for a range of therapists that you can apply for entirely online.
- Sparrow Insurance offers a stack of different insurance policies tailored for on-demand massage therapists and mobile beauty therapists.
What insurance you need to run your business with Blys
Thinking of signing up as a practitioner with Blys? To get you set up for success, you’ll need to make sure you have a Public Liability Insurance policy.
Our tip? Get $10,000,000 coverage as some clients (especially corporate clients) require this level of cover. Plus, this level of coverage increases your earning potential, which means you can open your books to more clients.
Mobile therapists love working with Blys as we give you access to Blys’ massage therapist insurance cover as part of your standard membership, at no extra cost.